Friday 20 December 2013

Beauty is only skin deep...really???

Hi all!!
Uma Chechi asked me today if there are no new stories and I told her that there are plenty of stories but the characters are my facebook  friends!I don’t want to die young, you see!!

But the jobless me kept thinking staring at my computer screen..what would I write about?


And then like Archimedes, someone inside me screamed “Eureka”(I did not run out of my office :D)

My favourite topic from time immemorial-External appearance !!Yes..I have already discussed this earlier but picture abhi bhi baaki hai mere dost!

People who have seen me know that I'm “very tall”that is approximately 5 feet and over weight!! But till date I've never ever felt bad about being short..even when I could not hold onto the bars in the bus(which were too high)and when I got a seat to sit down, my feet didn't touch the ground and many a time I used to be lying on the floor,thanks to the sudden brakes of the heartless drivers. And even though I stood in front for assembly in the 14 years of my school life, I never was sad about it. Even then I was happily short!


The funniest part in this is that neither me nor my parents were sad about me being short. But there was one person who was really depressed about me being short-one of our family friends.

The Holy Bible says “Love thy neighbour as yourself” and this man was a living example :P
Every time he sees me, he asks me something and every single time the concluding sentence would be “You are really short!” (Nee height vekkunnilla le!)Being frank I always used to feel like telling him, “Mummy didn't give me Complan!”or atleast ”Its not under my control!” But fearing the same Mummy, I kept quiet.
(I seriously doubt that he dreamt of getting his extra tall son married to me and waited all the years to see me grow,which I didn't! Shattered dreams make people bitter! No wonder he is taking his frustration on me :D )

Then another incident..I believe that you should be beautiful inside(forced to believe so ;) )and how you look externally doesn't matter. Dressing matters..in the sense you should dress neatly but I don’t think the cost of your dress actually matters.. Recently I bought a top from a small roadside stall. So when I went for a movie, it got caught on a nail and tore! So being me, I reported the issue in my FB status and one of my friends was like. “Why don’t you quit buying cheap stuff?” I have no branded clothes and I have no desire to buy them too(Size issues ;) )  So you're telling me, if the dress that tore was branded, it wouldn't have torn?? I really don’t understand that part!


So my concept of not judging people based on their looks and dressing originated from an incident which happened 

to my best friend.She went for some close friends home dressed casually-in a normal t-shirt and jeans(I still don’t understand why she was  dressed so casually!!)

On reaching there she was shocked to realize that they had a party kinda thing happening there and all except my friend were in party clothes.People looked at her as if she landed from Mars. Then the host was quite reluctant to introduce her to the rest of the crowd.She was helpless and had to stay back for dinner and was insulted in front of many strangers for dressing so casually


I do agree that when you throw a party with all esteemed guests who are all well dressed(or rather “richly” dressed) you get irritated to see some of the guests dressed too casually. But she was clueless about the “costume” party happening there.


Just imagine how it would have looked! Poor friend of mine!! :( I bet she would have looked like Kajol who attended Bachchan’s birthday party in K3G!



This particular incident deeply affected me and I get really irritated when people are treated differently based on their looks and dressing.


In Kerala, you show class-by adorning yourself in gold! I've seen many newly wed girls being forced to wear a minimum of two gold chains and five gold bangles on each hand while going for visit to relatives homes-(Visit to somebody’s home,right? And not to take a gold loan na?) But can’t help it! The relatives grade you based on the amount of gold you “brought” from your home! The old grannies and aunties have this fave question which they ask any new mom-in-law “How much did she bring?” (Etra konduvannu?)


If people valued character, then many of the love stories in which love at first sight happens would be a myth( Have you noticed that when in college all the good looking girls get proposed first?)


During my first year in college I was bombarded with a lot of comments regarding my looks. I had a very beautiful friend and once her Mom called me and asked “Are the seniors troubling my daughter?You are so lucky Gayathri,you have no such problems” This implies that seniors will not trouble the not-beautiful me but my friend who is beautiful is in trouble!


 Another friend of mine once called me and we were discussing about ragging and stuff when she told me that some guy in her class likes her and she was like “You are so lucky that you have no such problems.I always have guys falling for me wherever I go,” Which implies that no guy would be stupid enough to stalk me or fall for me!


One incident- As I already told you, the beauties of my college don’t travel by train and so the seniors were forced to target us for ragging. Believe it or not, I go silent when I see seniors that is my sound becomes very soft and I shiver and people who know might think that I'm acting.


But honestly I went silent and out of words only during two situations: 1.Ragging 2.Viva (I think my behaviour during both these situations might remind people of traditional Indian bride in front of her husband and in-laws- Soft spoken-one word replies-scared expression)


So one of my seniors, who looked like he was given punishment (He looked so uninterested in ragging me, people would have thought that I fell on his feet and begged “Please bless my life by subjecting me to your “ragging””)called me and started the usual question-answer session. My otherwise loud and piercing sound failed me and it came out in a whisper. I have a very “sweet” sound, soo sweet that you may doubt if it really belongs to a girl. It has bass. So my whisper also was loud. He noticed my sound and was like “Your sound has bass!”

At that point his girlfriend was one of the most beautiful girls in our college. So naturally he condemned girls like me. It came out through this dialogue, “You sound like a really timid girl. Is your modesty the reason why your kinda bald?” My forehead has a scar from a childhood injury and at that part of my forehead, hair growth is less and it looks like I'm bald.

I felt like hitting him. He is good looking, his girl friend is good looking. They cant expect the whole world to be like them right? I am bald, so what?


I am lecturing on this topics but maybe even I judge people based on their looks.The reason I'm saying this is when it comes to the matrimonial sites, we filter guys based on their looks and only then we even bother to look at their jobs and other details!(‘Every action has an equal and opposite reaction’ policy.You judged me based on looks, now its my turn to judge the world! Hahaha!!)


Many a time, we try to create an impression different from the actual person we are. For people who don’t know me well, I might look stuck up and full of attitude. But once you talk to me, any image previously formed, if good (rarest of the rare cases) will be shattered. Recently I joined a Project and because of starting trouble, I talk very less and only when talked to.(I'm serious!Please believe me when I say I talk less!) So someone from my team asked me, “Are you really this calm?” The calmness before a tsunami!!!


So when I went to Hyderabad for my job training I thought- New chapter of life, so I’ll behave like a matured lady (Hahaha!!!) and let people think that I’m very calm, composed and matured.

To establish the above agenda, I got a golden opportunity! We were made into pairs and I had to tell my partner about myself and also about my goals in life and things that make me unique. Then he will introduce me to the entire group,

I chose my words carefully. Here it goes… “I’m Gayathri from blah blah blah. My ambition in life is to make my parents and family proud of me. I'm very close to my mother and I take pride in saying that I can share anything under the sun with my mother. I love reading and I prefer light books of authors like Chetan Bhagat. I enjoy creative writing and presently I'm working on my autobiography and my biggest dream is to publish it”


Wow!!What a girl! I'm sure that this would have created a good image of me, but he started analysing and he concluded, “You are someone who gives importance to love. You take decisions with your heart and not brain.” Even this sounded nice!


Now he introduced me to the class as “Gayathri from Kerala. From what I understood she doesn't think. She believes in love and loves to read”


Ehh??? The others inferred it as “Gayathri doesn't think and reads love stories!”


I ended up being a silly girl who reads love stories and doesn't have a brain!!! What about the matured girl who’s working on her autobiography and would do anything for her family? L


That was the last time I tried to make an impression :D


Life is a box of surprises!!


So be yourself.. Let people accept you the way you are.. don’t change for anyone but yourself and remember that no one can play your role better than yourself,


I used to be very much affected by the comments made by people about me. Nowadays I’ve started filtering and only what some people who matter the most to me can get through the filter.

You have to have high security for your heart buddy! It’s the VVIP who must not be alerted about silly things and only things which are extremely important should get through the security layers.

So next time you feel that someone is being judgemental or criticizing you about your looks (Like my dearest family friend who recently told me, “Your increasing in breadth and not length” )  don’t feel sad or inferior. Just say….


I’m like this only!

2 comments:

American Ammayi Diaries - The apartment

Hello all, I hope you're enjoying my U.S. stories. Now that I've started university, I have more and more bloopers to share. B...